- Address: 20 Bradkeel Road, Plumbridge, Omagh, BT79 8BJ
- Contact: Annie and Vincent Mullan
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 07840194792
- Website: http://www.butterlopefarm.co.uk
- Social Media:
Type of Farm
Butterlope Farm is located 2miles from the village of Plumbridge in the beautiful Glenelly Valley at the heart of the Sperrins. It is 180 acres of grassland and hill land with 350 sheep, 15 hens and 2 sheepdogs.
A kitchen garden, greenhouse and large polytunnel also helps the farm to be more sustainable by growing their own fruit and vegetables.
Vincent and Annie has been farming at Butterlope for 10 years. They have started Social Farming in 2015 and are also keen to promote environmental awareness, wildlife conservation, and healthy living. The farm is managed to encourage and conserve the wide variety of wildlife in the area.
Farm Activities Offered To Participants
- Care for sheep including herding, feeding, lambing and animal health activities
- Maintaining animal houses
- Feeding and caring for hens, including collecting eggs
- Dry stone walling, fencing and woodwork projects
- Vegetable, fruit and flower growing
- Learning about wildlife
- Taking part in accredited training. This is assessed through practical observation so no reading or writing skills are required
Vincent has over 20 years’ experience in farming as well as having worked previously as a builder and mechanic. Annie is an environmental educator with 20 years’ experience and an adult education tutor. Accredited training in Health & Safety and farming and horticulture is also offered to participants. All staff are Access NI checked and the farm holds all relevant policies and insurance. All activities are fully risk assessed.
Butterlope Farm have been delivering Social Farming since April 2015 and previous to this was involved in the SoFAB pilot training. Programmes to date are funded by European Social Fund and the Health and Social Care Trust.