Tom and Helen are in their late sixties. Helen called Rural Support for help as Tom had become less able to look after the farm. The couple were under a lot of stress, the paperwork has fallen behind and a DARD inspection had highlighted some animal welfare issues.
What did Rural Support do?
- We agreed to meet Tom and Helen at home to get a better understanding of their situation.
- We looked at the paperwork and helped get it in order and up to date.
- We guided Helen and Tom to look at how stress was affecting their health and well-being and how they could reduce this stress.
- We helped the couple come up with options for the farm and arranged for them to have a financial consultation on the costs and income for each option.
- We signposted to other organisations which checked that Tom and Helen were getting their social security benefit entitlements and that they were receiving support with caring.
- We stayed in touch to provide support throughout the process.